Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Red Carpet to Reality

The Golden Globes are on Sunday, and that means the start of a very busy awards season. I'm always interested in who picks up the trophies, but I'm actually much more concerned with the red carpet fashion. There are certain standouts that I'm always excited to see (Cate Blanchett, I'm looking at you!), and I'm always hoping from something new or out-of-the-box to keep things interesting.


Last year, I had a few favorite looks for very different reasons. I really loved Reese Witherspoon's modern, streamlined ensemble (above). If you remember, she had just broken up with her husband and she obviously wanted something fresh and young to project her strength. This bright yellow Nina Ricci number -- in a knee-length, no less -- showed off her fabulous figure and just felt exactly right for 2008. I also loved how she paired it with a pair of red shoes and minimal jewelry.


I was also a big fan of Cameron Diaz's couture Chanel gown. Ruffles were the absolute biggest trend last year, and while this is a lot of look for most women, Cameron can pull it off due to her tall, lithe figure and her excellent posture. Now this is a red carpet dress!


Lastly, color was very important at last year's Globes. America Ferrara chose a perfect deep purple with this fitted Brian Reyes, and I love all of the pintucking and detail on the bodice. Notice that none of these women went overboard with jewels, carefully choosing diamond pieces that wouldn't overwhelm the gowns.

If you want to get your own red carpet look, this week's homepage is for you. We've highlighted some of the best pieces of showstopping jewelry, handbags and accessories just right for a fancy night on the town. Want the look for less? Click below to start shopping.

For the Gentlemen
For the Ladies
Elegant Evening Bags