Monday, January 26, 2009

More Red Carpet: SAG 2009


Actors themselves say they really enjoy the Screen Actors Guild awards because they themselves are voting on the winners, not a group of critics. While I would agree it looks like everyone had fun, it was another play-it-safe red carpet that didn't get me too excited about new trends or amazing accessories. Don't get me wrong--most everyone looked lovely, it just doesn't make for exciting commentary when you see yet another actress in a bold cuff bracelet and oversized bell-shaped diamond drop earrings.

I did want to point out a few of my favorites, though, and talk about what went right (and wrong). Let's start with Kate Winslet, above, a Best Supporting Actress winner for The Reader. I think she looks fabulous in blue Narcisco Rodriguez and Chopard jewels. No, she's not making any major style news here, but the dress fit her PERFECTLY (never underestimate the power of tailoring), her jewelry isn't overdone and the unusual neckline manages to feel modern and old-school glamorous at the same time.


I particularly liked Christina Applegate in emerald green Emanuel Ungaro accented with a Daniel Swarovski clutch and Lorraine Schwartz diamonds. She usually dresses a bit too old for my taste, opting for all-over beading and mermaid styles that just feel outdated. But this gown is confident, sexy and perfectly hits on the one-shoulder trend in a fashion-forward way.


Another one-shoulder wearer that wowed me was Evan Rachel Wood, above in a teal Monique Lhuillier with purple Sergio Rossi shoes and clutch. The color--divine, and I like the outside-the-box addition of a bird brooch and unusual bracelet. Plus, this shows you that matchy-matchy is a thing of the past: by pairing her gown with pops of purple, she really makes the ensemble her own.


But my favorite of the night just may have been January Jones (above), a winner for Best Ensemble for Mad Men. Her Luxotica Andrew Gn gown is, well, drool. She wisely opted to stay away from retro glamour (which would have been so Betty Draper) and instead chose an Egyptian-inspired gown that felt so right now. From her soft hair to her makeup to her Ofira yellow gold and diamond hoop earrings, I loved it from head to toe.

Tomorrow I'll be back to discuss some of the biggest color trends: Red and White.

Images via Just Jared.