Thursday, January 8, 2009

People's Choice

I didn't get a chance to watch the People's Choice awards last night, but I definitely took a few minutes to click through the pictures this morning. First thought? There weren't too many looks I was absolutely loving. This particular show can be fun because it's a dressed-down version of the red carpet, and there are usually a lot of accessible looks that translate easily to real life.

That being said, there were a few standouts, and I figured I'd use these looks as a starting point for your own at-home wardrobes. See how you can recreate a couple of the stars' choices through Portero below...


I found Marisa Tomei just about perfect last night. I love the simplicity of her red Donna Karan dress, tousled hair and gold accessories. I am actually swooning over that necklace with its bold scale, faceted crystal (I assume) and high-karat gold. (Closeup below.)


Recreate this look with a simple strapless silhouette and a dramatic gold necklace like this Carreras Ltd 18k Yellow Gold 2.9 ctw Diamond Bib Necklace or this JewelMak 18k Yellow Gold 1.20 ctw Diamond 8-Row Cable Necklace.


I also liked this sexy boho Gucci outfit worn by Kate Hudson. The color is lovely on her, the asymmetrical neckline adds interest, and the shoes (oh the shoes!) are fabulous. Instead of blinging it up with diamonds, she wisely chose graphic black and white accessories that fit the easygoing vibe of the dress.

To try the look, grab a couple of cocktail rings like this JewelMak 14k Yellow Gold Diamond Milk Chalcedony Cocktail Ring and this 18k White Gold Diamond Onyx Cabochon Cocktail Ring.


Truth be told, though, my favorite red carpet celebrity look of entire evening wore absolutely no jewelry. Dakota Fanning, above, was absolutely beautiful in a teal cocktail dress and minimal makeup. Finally, a teenager that dresses like a teenager!