Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Golden Globes


As you know, I'm in Italy, which means that I had to miss the live telecast of the Golden Globes. But that doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, and I wanted to bring you some of the important red carpet trends. As I said yesterday, statement necklaces are back in vogue and bigger than ever, and I saw a few great ones from Sunday night.

Beyonce, above, was stunning in a diamond fringe necklace by Lorraine Schwartz. It's hard to pull off such a dramatic necklace with a gown, but a black-tie affair is the perfect place to really go for it. The trick is to keep the gown's embellishments to a minimum, and to make sure that there's a good deal of skin between the bodice and the necklace so the overall effect isn't too busy.


Elizabeth Banks also went for neckline sparkle with another diamond collar from Schwartz (above). This piece was similar to the bib design I showed you yesterday by Marco Bicego because it is also made up of conjoined circles. (I was also smitten with the detail on her pale pink dress--the pintucking and fraying was both sweet and a bit avant garde.)


Lastly, I absolutely loved this Amrapali ruby and gold necklace worn by Catt Sadler, a correspondent for E! It's rare that women choose intense colored gemstone necklaces for the red carpet, so I definitely appreciate the outside the box thinking.

Stay tuned for more red carpet trends, including a ubiquitous neckline and a dominant color palette.

Images courtesy Diamond Information Center and D'Orazio & Associates