Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fall's Must-Have Jewels


I spent Labor Day weekend in Seattle, and then took a road trip to Montana. The plane ride back to New York City was the perfect time to get ready for fashion week by reading through a bundle of magazines. I particularly kept my eye on the biggest and boldest jewelry trends, and there is no doubt in my mind that statement necklaces are the thing for the upcoming season. I grabbed some examples from this month's Bazaar, including this futuristic Arts & Crafts version by Lanvin (above). Combining ribbon, lucite and crystal, I love how the mix-and-match aesthetic still feels cohesive. 


Another bold necklace was found at Balenciaga by Nicola Ghesquiere (above). I like how the white, natural pearls are juxtaposed with the harsh makeup and dark fabric. Below, Dries Van Noten basically stacked armfuls of bangles on a long string, resulting in a three-dimensional necklace full of color and life. 


Our spotlight this week is "Jewelry takes a Front Row"--an homage to fashion week and an ode to the upcoming season. This is the perfect year to supplement your wardrobe with eye-catching accessories, so here's a great place to get started:


Images via harpersbazaar.com