Monday, September 22, 2008

EMMY Sparkle


So, I sat through the Emmys last night in the name of fashion. Although I was thrilled to see two of my favorite shows, Mad Men and 30 Rock, win in their respective categories, I was really there to report on the red carpet. I'm going to start today with a big jewelry trend: blackened metal. America Ferrera pulled it off beautifully, above, with a suite from Fred Leighton that included a gorgeous 19th-century flower necklace.


I adored Brooke Sheilds' choice of dress color, and she also chose Fred Leighton to accessorize. She wore a 19th Century diamond bow brooch on her waistline (a favorite trick of mine), and went bold with old-mine cut diamond leaf and vine earrings.


Heidi Klum also went bold, but decided to use a modern design. Her enormous blackened platinum and diamond and lavender jade butterfly earrings by Lorraine Schwartz certainly made a red carpet statement.

Interestingly, blackened metal can take on two entirely different looks: very antique or edgy and modern. Click right here to see a selection of jewels on Portero that incorporate blackened metal.

I am personally taken with these little Chopard Happy Diamond emerald stud earrings--I love how the black metal makes the bright green stand out so much. Certainly a modern twist on a pair of everyday studs.

Images courtesy the Diamond Information Center