Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sweet Tooth

What you're looking at above is NOT a tower of handbags, but is actually a tower of sugar. I just couldn't pass up showing you this edible creation by Gregory Paul Soriano, made to look just like a bunch of Louis Vuitton handbags. With my wedding coming up next year, I have to admit that it would be fun to have something like this as a "bride's cake", although then I'd have to submit to the whims of my fiancee for a separate groom's cake. The cost of the cake is probably as much as a handbag anyway, so I'd probably invest in something more wearable and less edible. 


What it actually reminds me of is the Louis Vuitton Tribute Patchwork bag that came out last year and retailed for an absurd $45,000 (see above). While I personally find it hideous, it of course sold out entirely. When I think about how many separate handbags nearly 50 grand could buy...

Gregory Paul Soriano is known for his custom couture cakes like the one above. You can personalize them in any way, and I find them totally fabulous. Click right here to check out the Flickr stream for Soriano's cakes, and get ready to indulge both your sweet tooth and your imagination. 

To see Portero's selection of Louis Vuitton handbags, click right here

Images courtesy Gregory Paul Soriano and Louis Vuitton