Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Best of Vintage


This week's homepage theme is definitely one that is near and dear to my heart: Vintage. I honestly love pieces with a bit of history, and it's amazing when you realize just how cyclical fashion really is. My favorite pieces of vintage fashion are actually inherited from family: I have a round gold monogrammed brooch from my Grandmother on my Mom's side, and a beautiful long black wool coat with a fur collar from my Grandmother on my Father's side. 

One celebrity who really understands the value of Vintage is Mary-Kate Olsen, seen in these three recent pictures doing press for her new movie "The Wackness". Here is a young woman with tons of money to spend on brand new clothes, yet she goes for time-worn treasures over and over again. Above, Olsen chose a vintage Halston for her appearance on Late Night with David Letterman–she wisely pairs the oversized sleeve with a short skirt. 


Now at the movie's premiere, above, she dons vintage Lanvin in a kimono-style. I often think that Mary-Kate chooses pieces that are a little overwhelming for her petite figure, but at least she knows what she likes and goes for it with gusto. 


Lastly, at the movie's after party, she pairs a vintage Pucci with the same bold bracelet as above. If I had to take a guess, I would assume that it's from the new line of jewelry she and her sister are doing with Robert Lee Morris (for their Elizabeth and James fashion line). 

I honestly think that vintage is a state of mind. It's the knowledge that you're wearing something that has a history and a story. Isn't it amazing to think who might have worn your watch, jewelry, or carried your bag; and where they went?  


Images via JustJared