Monday, July 21, 2008

On the Verge: Jeanne Johngren


One of my favorite parts of writing about jewelry is hopefully bringing new designers to the attention of my readers. Right now I'm happy to bring you just a few pieces from the lovely Jeanne Johngren, an artist who started out as a filmmaker and who now creates in gold and gemstones. I am completely smitten with her medallion-like pieces, such as the Mandala discs above in 18-karat gold, sapphires and diamonds. Mandala, apparently, is a mystic shape known to embody harmony, balance and focus that comes from the ancient Buddhist and Hindu religions.

Above, her Quattro pendant studded with gorgeous blue-green tourmalines is another stunner. I have always been a fan of rich yellow gold with colorful gems, and I particularly like how Johngren isn't aiming for perfection with her stone setting–when not perfectly in alignment, the overall effect is charming and one-of-a-kind.

Here are another set of discs, this time in earring form. Called Sunburst, the pattern would really catch the light beautifully. Circular pendants have always been a favorite of mine, and Portero has a great selection that vary in size, shape and material. Here are a few I wouldn't mind picking up:

Gurhan 24k Yellow Gold Phoenician Bead Necklace. I love the juxtaposition of the hand-hammered disc and the dangling gemstones.

JewelMak 14k Yellow Gold Diamond Pendant Necklace. Sparkly and feminine, I like the modern Art Nouveau elements of this pendant.

David Yurman 18k Yellow Gold Diamond Cable Disc Necklace. This falls into the "everyday wear" category because it will look good with anything. I like how the signature cable motif has been twisted to create motion.

Images courtesy Jeanne Johngren.