Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fool's Gold?

As I've probably mentioned before, I am a big fan of gold. Most of my jewelry is in fact yellow gold, and my engagement ring is rose gold. I am also a big fan of food. I am one of the least picky eaters around, and a great meal never gets old. Sometimes, though, two rights make a wrong, as with this trend of gold ON food. 

This is something I really don't get. Let's start with the image above, from a Swiss chocolate maker called Cocoa Gourmet. For a mere $1,250, you can get your hands on a box of 12 chocolates covered with edible gold, silver and sprinkled with diamonds. 


If you'd rather have your gold with booze, New York City restaurant Buddha Bar should be your next stop. For $50, the bartender will make you a specialty "Gold Digger" cocktail (above) featuring gin, vermouth and "gold wrapped" olives. 
 

Our least expensive option comes from Greenpoint, New York store Jan & Aya. These homemade twinkies from baker Sarah Magid, called Goldies, will set you back $6 a piece. Dusted with gold powder and filled with organic chocolate and buttercream, these are not meant for brown-bag lunches. 

Honestly, I just don't get it at all. Why spend an exorbitant amount of money to eat something that will taste exactly the same without the expensive ingredient? I guess there must be a market, though, if people continue to make them. 

I much prefer to wear my gold. Here are three Portero pieces that I'm coveting in a major way right now:

Gurhan 24-karat gold opal Paradiso drop earrings. Totally chic and very modern, I love the rich tone of the gold and the delicate chain. 

H. Stern 18-karat gold interlocking heart band. I like that this ring itself is flexible, and that the hearts aren't too literal. 

Vintage 18-karat gold bamboo link chain bracelet. Swoon. If I hit the lottery, I would snap this beauty up in a heartbeat--it would look great with everything from jeans and a white t-shirt to a cocktail dress. 

Images via Cocoa Gourmet and Gothamist.com.