Monday, June 2, 2008

Live from Vegas!

So I first must apologize for the light posting last week--I've been in Las Vegas for the year's biggest U.S. jewelry shows, and I've been working hard to find the latest and greatest designers. Today is my last day here at the Couture and JCK shows, and I've gotten to see some beautiful jewels and some fantastic new creations. As a Monday treat, I thought I'd bring you some pieces I love from a few designers that you may not be familiar with. 

First, above, is Colorado-based Todd Reed. Designing under his own name since 1992, Reed's signature work marries raw diamonds and recycled gold to create earthy, subtle beauty. Everything is hand-fabricated, and really has that one-of-a-kind feel. I just love the cuff above--it really shows you how gorgeous diamonds are in their raw state, and how many shades of colors are available. 


Next up is Deborah Pagani, a New York-based fashion maven with a flair for the dramatic. Many of her pieces, just like the oversized earrings above, play with graphics and geometrics in a way that is both smart and sophisticated. According to the designer herself, her collection is inspired by a modern-day Cleopatra--the busy woman (with exceptional style) who needs to easily transition from day to night. 

I love Shamballa Jewels because the concept plays beautifully with the contradictions between fine jewelry and accessories. The company's signature bracelets (above), dreamed up by designer Mads Kornerup, are made of braided macrame and 18-karat gold balls dressed up with precious stones. These bracelets, which are easily adjustable, look fantastic on men or women. 

Lastly, we have the oddly-named but beautifully designed Lucifer Vir Honestus based out of Milan. Created by Luna Francesca Scamuzzi, the line is named after the first medieval Milan jeweler. The real draw for me, though, is her amazing eye for unusual colored gemstones and sculptural gold. This rose gold ring, above, has an organic texture and an oval blue tourmaline featuring natural inclusions. 

Stay tuned for more designs from the front lines!