Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Blackout


If you're a design dork like me, you'll probably already have noticed the trend toward black walls in the home. It was widely praised on the last episode of HGTV's Design Star, was linked to today on Apartmenttherapy (see images above and below) and has been showing up in some of my favorite magazines. 


Living in small apartments in New York City for the past 10 years, it's always seemed that I want to keep my walls light and bright to open up the space. But as I'm seeing more and more dark spaces done so beautifully, I'm starting to understand how this look can bring a certain amount of drama and warmth to a room as well. 

If you're thinking of trying to incorporate this trend into your own house, I would recommend some beautiful metallic accessories to offset the deep color. (You really need a little shimmer with such a dark palette.) Here are some suggestions:

Tiffany & Co. Sterling Silver Candlestick Set. The chic octagonal design will go with nearly any decor style. 

Lalique Crystal painted Roger lidded box. The perfect place to stash your keys in an entryway or hold odds and ends on a coffee table. 

Louis Comfort Tiffany iridescent Goblets. The opalescent glass will bring the perfect gold shimmer to a black background. 

Images via Apartmenttherapy.com