Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Back to Black


I have recently been fixated on the colors in my home. My bedroom has a mix of bold oranges, yellows and blues (it doesn't sound great, but I think it's pretty lovely) while my living room features moss greens with an accent of dusty rose. (The Mid-Century modern aesthetic that bridges the spaces keeps it cohesive.)  But lately I've been craving something stark among all of these hues, and some great photo house tours have reinforced a feeling that some great black pieces will add just the right sophisticated touch. 

Above, a picture of accessory maven Kate Spade's bedroom really speaks to me. I love the yellow, gray and black and white palette as well as the contrast of textures (the fabric wallpaper, nubby carpet and velvet chair).  Below, a photo from this month's Domino magazine shows another great color palette based on a fresh kelly green. Not for the faint of heart, this would look stunning in a small nook, foyer or kitchen, as pictured. 

One thing these images have in common? They are just crying out for some bold black accessories. Here's a few that would look perfect in either vignette:

Lalique Laure Black Crystal Bowl. I love the unexpectedness of this piece. The jet black crystal is totally sexy, and the curved lines and almost feather-like details give it a one-of-a-kind feel. How great would this look on an entry table as a place to catch your keys?

Orrefors Squeeze Black Crystal Vase. This is expert glassmaking with a totally modern twist. 

Kosta Boda Celeste Black Candlestick. I would pair this with a couple of other clear glass candlesticks at varying heights.