Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Bag Ladies


If May 30 is circled in red on your calendar and you have pre-ordered popcorn and Twizzlers, I'm sure you'll be one of the many people especially interested in today's new homepage theme celebrating our favorite four ladies from NYC. I've been watching the recent red carpet movie premieres along with everyone else, and I'm happy to see that Kristin, Cynthia, Kim and Sarah Jessica aren't skimping on the fashionable frocks for the red carpet. 

Above, in London, SJP goes all out in a pale green Alexander McQueen dress topped with an over-the-top hat bearing flowers, feathers and, who knows--there could even be some fruit mixed in there. Kim Cattrall (in Vivienne Westwood) and Kristin Davis went for red-hued dresses, while Cynthia Nixon scored my favorite of the day in a black pleated Calvin Klein gown (love!). 

So who were you most like? I was always a Carrie. Besides the obvious similarity of being a freelance writer here in Manhattan, I'm also petite and have a quirky sense of style. Let's just say I'm not afraid of the newest trends. Luckily, this week Portero has decided to spotlight some of the accessories that Carrie Bradshaw herself would have loved, making shopping simple. I'm particularly fond of this Valentino snakeskin and floral beaded evening bag--a total stunner, and perfect to go with fun summer cocktail dresses. 

But if you're feeling more Miranda, Charlotte or Samantha, have no fear--we've also scoped out the pieces that would have been scooped up by each of those ladies. Here are some of my favorites:

Miranda: Work doesn't get more chic than this black Hermes Chamonix Kelly Depeches briefcase. Besides lasting forever, it makes both a serious and a fashionable statement. 

Charlotte: I am ridiculously enamored with this taupe Chanel Caviar Ligne Hobo bag. I love the neutral color (that isn't brown or black) and the classic quilted pattern. 

Samantha: This Valentino zebra print pony hair tote is really the best of two worlds: Very va va va voom but also practical--it could fit all of your daily needs. I love the sexy red and gold accents, too. Samantha would definitely approve.