Tuesday, May 6, 2008

At the Met!

If there is one event each year that I dream about attending, it's the Costume Institute Gala held at the Met in NYC. Yes, the Oscars would be fun, but if you're ravenous for fashion like I am, this is really the party where the most fabulous outfits are unveiled. As I said yesterday, this year's theme was Superheroes, and while I see a bit of that in some of the outfits, what I really look for is a little risk and a lot of drama in the gowns. 

Since designers get into the studio right away to create similar dresses for lower prices, you might already be thinking about how to achieve the same look. With each of my favorite gowns, I've noted a perfect evening bag from Portero that will finish the outfit. 

Eva Longoria, above, brought risk and drama to the party and she wins my best dressed of the night. Her ruffled and tiered mauve Marchesa gown is not only stunning on its own, but it's the perfect hue for Longoria's dark features. With such a detailed confection, Longoria did the right thing and kept the accessories to a minimum, just showcasing a beautiful pair of vintage-looking diamond ear clips. Perfection! 

Without a doubt, a dress this special deserves an equally special bag. I would head straight for this Gucci Gold Enamel Dragonfly Minaudiere. The detailing is exquisite, and it feels so one-of-a-kind. 

Christina Ricci definitely gets my Avant Garde award. This party is really about innovation in fashion, and I'm bored to tears with all of the basic black gowns that showed up on the red carpet. Not only does her Givenchy creation evoke a Wonder Woman-esque feel, it also stands out in the crowd without feeling like a costume. This just screams high fashion, and it fits Ricci's petite frame flawlessly. 

If you don't opt for a red bag like Ricci, let me suggest this Judith Leiber gold, silver and crystal clutch. The crystal placement is unexpected and very bold, just like this gown. 

Kate Moss, in Stella McCartney, earns the Most Flattering award with this belted, scoop neck gown. For a supermodel known for creating the 'heroin chic' look, this dress makes Mosslook voluptuous and glamorous without too much effort. McCartney really created a shape here that would look good on most women and won't easily go out of style. 

I would pair it with this Nancy Gonzales gold metallic Caiman crocodile clutch, which isn't too structured or prissy and will pair well with lots of things in your closet. 

I'm bestowing the Dynamic Duo award upon Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen in Versace. How dapper does the New England Patriots' QB look with that slicked back hair and classic tuxedo? And it's not hard for someone with Gisele's body to take risks, but I love how this gown feels at once kind of futuristic but also like a bit of a throwback. Somehow I can imagine them as characters in either an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel or something set 50 years from now. 

A dress with such bold lines needs something structured and geometric, and this Devi Kroell Wood & Crystal Clutch is a match. Very cutting-edge. 

Photos via JustJared.